Included on this page are General Career Sites, Guides for Specific Careers, and Military Career Resources
General Career Sites
This website will give you information about the many career fields available to you and there availability in the state of Ohio. You can create a profile that will help guide you on your journey to your dream career.
There are currently 261 careers covered at this site. Many have video interviews. All include schools in our are that offer the education required for each career, along with links to articles on similar jobs.
Careers Internet Database
This is the online version of the Career Research Reports that we have in print form. Each report covers one general career, and most also discuss specialties within that field. You'll need a username and password, which are available at the library.
- Career Advice for High School Students
- This page from about.com includes several good articles and links. Watch out for the ads.
This site is produced by the Department of Defense with help from the Departments of Commerce, Education, and Labor. It will give you information about your chosen career field in the country.
This site gives details on jobs and college. You can search to see what jobs are available in your area.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Like the print version, this resource provides comprehensive, current, and reliable career information for approximately 250 occupations. There are also tips on resume writing, interviewing, and reading the want ads. Searching with the "A-Z Index" is often easier than typing in a search term. This site is sponsored by the Department of Labor.
- Ohio Department of Education's Career Pathways
- ODE has compiled lists of careers and created charts to show you what it would take to pursue a chosen career. What classes will you need to take in college? What classes should you be taking now?
- Considering a Medical Career
- This site is sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges and is geared specifically to the high school student.
- Quintessential Career & Job Hunting Resources Guide
- Here you'll find tips on resumes and cover letters, interviewing, and an online marketability test. From the home page, use the "Quick Find" pull-down menu for quizzes and tutorials. The site is mainly for job seekers, but career researchers can find help here, too. Begin at the "Student" tab.
- O*NET Online
- The "skills search" attempts to match occupations with skills you now have or would like to develop. The site was developed for the US Department of Labor by the O*NET consortium.
- VB Students: Don't forget to check the print resources available in the VBHS Library. See the librarian for a list of our print resources.
- Carpentry and Construction Career Guide
- The list of links to specific job descriptions is followed by a plethora of related links, including carpentry projects, house plans, repair guides, and equipment and tool sites
- This site covers trends, facts, job opportunities, & events related to the global hospitality industry. Links are provided to other resources. Not expressly for career information, but it may be useful to those with a strong interest in hotel/motel management.
- Careers in Oceanography, Marine Science & Marine Biology
- A huge directory of links to useful sites in the title fields. If this is your career path, you'll find useful information here..
- Architecture Careers from about.com
- Your source for information about careers in architecture, plus job listings and other resources for finding employment in architecture, landscape design, urban planning, historic preservation and related fields. about.com has some great web guides on a large variety of subjects.
- Tip: Find the name of a professional organization that serves the members of the profession you are interested in. Search on that name in a good search engine or directory. You can find exact names, and sometimes URLs, in the Career Research pamphlets in the VBHS Library.
|US Air Force Air Base||US Air Force Academy||Army Recruitment Page|
|US Military Academy (West Point)||US Coast Guard Academy||US Naval Academy (Anapolis)|
|US Marine Corps||US Navy Opportunities||DefenseLink: Dept. of Defense|