Choosing a College Test Prep (ACT, SAT & Ohio Standardized Tests)
- Ohio Board of Regents
- Information on all four-year and two-year colleges in Ohio, both public and independent. Includes maps of campuses.
- OCAN: Ohio College Access Network
- Click on the "Students" tab.
- The College Board
- These are the people who bring you the SAT. You can search for a college here; by name, by searching an alphabetical list, or by using the 'Advanced Search,' where you define your criteria and are presented with a list of schools that match. You'll find information and advice on 3500 or so schools here. There is also a guide to campus visits, and a career search function.
- College View
- The college search gives you fourteen criteria to search on, or you can search by name. There is a 'virtual tour' section which is slow to load. Most of the tours here are of small, private schools.
- You can perform a search using your preferences in a school at this site. Some majors are spotlighted--you'll learn a lot about those that are. Distance learning options are explained, and there are several articles on preparing for college. A search engine is included. Peterson's is a publisher of college & test preparation materials.
- U.S. News America's Best Colleges 2007
- Enter a school's name, browse through the alphabetical index, or get a customized list of schools that match your needs from over 1400 4-year colleges. There is also a community college search. You can save your searches here. The site also ranks graduate schools, has on section on career/job searching, career outlooks, internships, and a self-assessment.
- My College Guide
- College search by your criteria. Dear Admissions Guru answers many frequently asked questions. "Read About College" has articles of general interest and some that offer advice to those interested in the most competitive schools.
- High School Ace
- "The Academic Homepage for High School Students"
- Click on the "Guidance" link for college and career information. This site also has a lot of subject guides, general reference links, and quizzes and games.
- The Ohio Career Information System also offers information on all four-year and two-year colleges in Ohio as well as trade schools. Password required.
Test Preparation & Practice--ACT and SAT
- Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions
- Includes free, 3-hour practice ACT and SAT's (with free registration). Access the practice SAT under the PSAT link. Most of this site is for people who are interested in purchasing test practice materials.
- From the main page, choose the test you want to take. Then, choose which sections of the test you want included. You must register to use this site, but the practice tests are free. Of course, there are also products available for purchase.
Ohio Proficiency Tests Practice
- Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) Full-length Practice Tests
- You can also link to half-length tests and to practice tests for 3rd through 8th grades.
- Math Practice Questions
- This is from the Glenn Learning Technologies Project (NASA). It's an older site and the questions are correlated with the Ohio 9th Grade math proficiency test. To take this test, you click on a question number, then on the answer that you think is the correct one. It will tell you if you are right or wrong, and the method used to get the correct answer. You'll have to keep track of how many you got correct to figure out your score. If you need help, just ask!
Last modified: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 9:36 AM