Monday, September 17, 2018
Objective: Students will follow their classmates' blogs on Feedly (if necessary) and then read and comment on their classmates' argumentative posts.
Standard: SL.9-10.1C (This is a new learning target, so grab a sheet from the table and add the appropriate information to it using the list of learning targets on Classroom).
WHY? We all like to receive feedback so we know where we stand. It takes practice to give quality feedback, and it is important to be able to take feedback and make improvements. Remember that feedback is different from criticism.
1. Read the entire lesson plan before you begin working.
2. Add this new standard to a learning target sheet.
3. Go to Classroom and open the list of blog addresses where you previously pasted your own address.
4. Individually copy the URL of each of your classmates' blogs (you only need to follow the students in your class, but you are welcome to follow others). This document should be VIEW ONLY, so you shouldn't be able to erase/alter/move someone else's URL. Realize everyone is going to be copying from the same document, so there is going to be a lot of movement on it.
5. To access the search bar on Feedly, click the +Add Content button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. When you click the button, it will open a Search bar in the middle of the screen which says Search by topic, website or RSS link.
6. Paste the blog URL into the search bar and hit Enter.
7. The name of the blog should then appear, and there should be a green FOLLOW button next to it.
8. Click the FOLLOW button. When you do it the first time, you will need to hit the NEW FEED+ button which pops open and name the new feed. I suggest name it BLOGS.
9. You will repeat this process for each blog address.
10. Once you have followed your classmates' blogs, start reading their posts using Feedly.
11. When you come across a post on which you would like to comment, do so using the guidelines set forth in SL.9-10.1C (please make sure you have READ the learning target and thought about it so you know what your comments should include). In order to comment, scroll to the bottom of the post on Feedly. There you will see a button which says VISIT WEBSITE. Click that button, which will take you to the actual blog post. At the bottom of the blog post will be a comment area. BE SURE TO HIT THE PUBLISH BUTTON AFTER TYPING YOUR COMMENT SO EVERYONE CAN SEE YOUR COMMENT.
12. What does a good comment look like? It follows the guidelines of SL.9-10.1C (review it on your learning target sheet). "Good job" is NOT a good comment. A GOOD comment might look like this: I understand why you don't like the Indians; however, have you ever considered why they are the best team in the American League? It has to be the impact Terry Francona has had on the team. Without a strong manager, this team wouldn't be anywhere as good as they are.
13. Read and comment until the end of the period. You will have time in class Monday to continue reading and commenting on your classmates' posts.
HOMEWORK: Feel free to continue reading and commenting on your classmates' blogs.