Monday, October 16, 2017
Objective: Students will read "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Necklace" to determine and compare the dominant themes in the two stories and identify specific details which helped develop the theme.
Standard: RL.9.2A (I can identify a theme in a story and identify specific details which helped shape the theme.)
1. We will discuss last Friday's assessment over RL.9.3, RL.9.4, RL.9.5.
2. Students should add their results to their learning target sheets using Progressbook.
3. We will preview "The Gift of the Magi" (pg. 138) and "The Necklace" (pg. 143).
4. Our focus with these two stories is going to be theme. We know motifs are closely related to themes, so as you read, make note (on your own paper, in an online document, etc.) of any motifs which come up numerous times throughout the story.
5. Students will have any remaining time to read.
HOMEWORK: Complete your lesson four vocabulary exercises for tomorrow, prepare for the lesson four vocabulary assessment on block day, and finish reading "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Necklace" for your block day. PLEASE make note of any motifs you find while reading.